Date and Time
Wednesday 12 October 2022 (13:00 - 15:00)
Thursday 3 November 2022 (10:00 - 16:00)
Tuesday 6 December 2022 (10:00 - 16:00)
Thursday 26 January 2023 (10:00 - 16:00)
Friday 24 March 2023 (10:00 - 16:00)
Thursday 8 June 2023 (10:00 - 16:00)
£750.00 (£875.00 non-members)
A Flexible Learning Journey to Suit You
Our Emerging Leaders programme includes a combination of face-to-face delivery and online learning delivered by industry professionals. The course incorporates leadership spotlights; opportunities to network with peers, leaders and managers in the sector; plus the use of collaborative blogs and forums through our membership platform.
During the programme, you will work with experienced leaders in the sector who will guide you on your journey, and you will have plenty of opportunities to review and reflect on your learning, enhancing your skills even further. In addition, modules for this programme have been mapped to the ILM Level 3 Diploma for Managers.
The programme has been designed to be delivered over six sessions throughout the summer and autumn terms 2022, with each module enabling you to delve deeper into the topics associated with leadership and management. In each session you will hear from an experienced leader from within the industry or the wider public sector, and your learning will be further complimented with opportunities for online learning and collaboration.
The programme consists of 'six steps' to successful leadership and management, including:
- Step 1: An Introduction to your Programme and Action Learning Sets
- Step 2: Understanding the Further Education and Skills Landscape
- Step 3: Recognising your Leadership Potential
- Step 4: Understanding the Role of Management
- Step 5: Appreciating the Importance of Coaching and Mentoring
- Step 6: Getting Ready to Lead.
The programme also includes:
- Online learning - in order to support your development during the programme and to allow you the opportunity to reflect on your practice, you will be able to access resources such as articles and case studies that will deepen your understanding of leadership and management, plus online masterclasses focusing on topics such as communication skills, mental health and wellbeing, and a whole lot more
- Mentoring - throughout your programme you will be able to regularly come together to develop your skills, supported by a knowledgeable professional who has leadership and management experience within the sector
- Clifton StrengthsFinder - everybody has a unique combination of talents, knowledge and skills that they use in their daily lives to do their work, achieve their goals and interact with others. By working with an experienced StrengthsFinder Coach, you will undertake a powerful online assessment, which will identify and enable you to understand your strengths
- Optional elements - participants taking part in the programme are also provided with the opportunity to attend our parliamentary reception and Skills and Education Group Annual Conference. Both events provide useful opportunities for networking with leaders and managers within the further education and skills sector.
So, if you are aspiring to become a future leader in this dynamic and ever-changing sector, then this programme is for you. Below are a sample of comments from previous participants:
- "This is probably one of the best courses I have attended, the variety was superb."
- "I have learnt about my strengths and how they can be used in different leadership situations."
- "I feel like I now have more tools in my toolbox to be a better leader, whilst I understand the type of people that I need around me."
Chief Executive, Skills and Education Group
A proven and experienced leader, Paul takes meaningful action to increase social mobility and inclusion through skills and education training.
Founder and Director, Sidekick
Hannah has worked in the education sector as a teacher, senior leader of education (teacher training) and as an Assistant Headteacher. More recently, Hannah has worked as a qualified coach and mentor for five years.
Director, Learning Curve Group
An experienced consultant and trainer in the post-16 education and training sector, Beej has provided astute guidance and clarification with regard to sector funding policy and financial management since 1993.
Dr Alison Scott
Lead Professional Development Advisor, Skills and Education Group
Dr Alison Scott has worked in the further education sector for 30 years in a variety of roles: as an English teacher, a teacher trainer, a manager of teaching and learning coaches and, latterly, as an independent trainer/consultant.
AoC Area Director (East & West Midlands)
Jen is experienced in relationship management, membership engagement and organisational development, with a demonstrated history of working with charitable and educational organisations.